Our mission is to promote, enhance and support the application of geospatial technologies (remote sensing, Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis as well as ecological monitoring) in interdisciplinary and integrative research, education and service.
Our vision is to offer partners within as well as outside the faculty knowledge to answer research questions and develop applications with a spatial focus. Therefore we provide
- high quality research in a local, regional, national, international and global context;
- access to spatial information through a data platform and spatial competence;
- transfer of technology to support regional development processes;
- a target-oriented education of student to face the challenges of the working environment.
Our primary goal is integrative research in the fields of remote sensing, GIS and cartography in a discourse between fundamental research and applied research. Our focus is on
- the integration and linkage within international research projects;
- the development and realization of integrative research projects;
- regional questions, challenges and solutions;
- the development of trans-disciplinary research designs;
- the establishment of concentrated competences within the University as well as in a regional context, especially within the NAWI GRAZ cooperation and within the cooperation with the Wegener Center for Climate and Global Change;
- the promotion and support of young researchers.
We enable, promote and support the application of geospatial technologies in graduate as well as postgraduate programs through
- intensify competences in
- geographic fields
- research-conducted lectures
- practical-oriented lectures, labs and trainings
- integrative lectures
- promotion of young researchers
- participation of graduate students in lectures
- integration of students (tutoring)
- increasing the integrative aspect of all three fields within the lectures
- demand-oriented combined lectures with other disciplines
- cooperation with the regional center of expertise geographical education
- teachers training
We offer our competence in geospatial technologies within the University but also seek to enlarge the network on administrative and scientific institutions, schools and enterprises. The detailed goals are:
- to intensify the internal network at the Deparment of Geography and Regional Science;
- to strengthen the network within the University Graz as well as with the Technical University Graz;
- to establish and widen the network in a regional context.
ContactSecretary of the Institute
Monday til Friday 10-12 am